Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 1

Gratitude is something I have been very conscious of the past few years. I started a gratitude journal two years ago and every night before I go to bed, I take a moment to reflect on my day and jot down a few notes on what I was most thankful for. I found that after a while I looked forward to this reflection time and it was very easy to keep up the journaling.  Every so often I will skim through the highlights of my year and it makes me feel so blessed – not just for the big things like family and friends, but the little things too – the moments that have made me smile or warmed my heart.

Before Christmas I experienced a moment that changed my life forever. That moment is etched in my mind 24/7. That moment my heart stopped for a split second and time appeared to stand still. That moment made me appreciate every single breath I get the chance to take. Time is the most precious asset we have; we need to make the most of it as we will never know when our time could be up.

The night of this “awakening” moment I posted this message on my facebook:

“What a day… I have heard the expression before “I feel like I have been hit by a truck” but never did I think I would actually be able to say I now know how that feels. It has been a very traumatic day, thankfully no broken bones; the rest will heal in time. This was just another reminder of how precious life is; you just never know what will happen from one day to the next, even for simple things like walking across the street at a cross walk. I am grateful that I have a little guardian angel watching over me, as it could have been so much worse. I am very lucky for such wonderful family and friends, you mean the world to me. Thanks for your calls, messages and emails; it is great to feel so loved xo”

I look at this message a month after it happened and I see how living a life of gratitude has really changed me. Even through the bad I was able to see the good, the things I am thankful for, the positive side to an unfortunate circumstance. My gratitude journal has made me a more mindful person. Instead of letting this accident set me back, it has made me stronger. After reflecting on everything that happened that day and during the few weeks of physical and emotional healing, I decided that 2013 was going to be the year for gratitude, kindness and mindfulness. 

I am blogging my gratitude journal for the month of February, something that I have always kept between me, the pen and the pages. I am hoping my blog will inspire others to get in the practice of writing down their thoughts of appreciation - it is such an incredible feeling. You won’t believe me until you try it for yourself. You don’t have to do a blog or journal to reap the benefits, even scribble a few things down on a sticky note when they come to mind, or when you close your eyes at night, let your thoughts of gratitude run through your mind before you drift off to sleep.

I will also be posting about gratitude initiatives and inspirational actions, quotes, videos and photos. I am aiming for the month of February and beyond to wake up every day with a smile on my face and a happy heart regardless of what is in store for me that day. I will cherish every minute life has to offer me.


 ~~~ DAY 1 ~~~

It is given that I am grateful for my amazing family, friends, colleagues, a wonderful place to live, a job I love, excellent health, a positive outlook on life etc.. 

The remainder of my blog is not going to be about the big things I am grateful for, I will be blogging about the things others may take for granted - the little things in life that pass us by if we are not paying attention. So today, I will be thankful for the big things I just mentioned above - because without those incredible things in my life, I would not be the person I am today. I am thankful every day for being so lucky to have this wonderful life and I never take these precious gifts for granted.   


No comments:

Post a Comment